The Mediterranean Diet
Fed up with diets that leave you hungry and STRESSED OUT about what you can and can’t eat? Are you looking for lasting change in your health and diet, which is sustainable? The scientifically proven Mediterranean Diet is one of the best “diets” that you can maintain indefinitely. It’s easy to follow, naturally contains some of the best foods for optimal nutrition and most importantly, is enjoyable for the whole family. The Mediterranean Diet is not a diet, it’s a lifestyle. If you are eager to learn how to adopt this lifestyle for yourself, then you’ve come to the right place. Tree of Life Nutrition is home to one of Australia’s most well-known Mediterranean Diet Dietitians, Desi Carlos. Desi and her team of Greek-Australian Dietitians combine lived cultural experience, and extensive expertise to help you live your best life.
Say no to restrictive diets, and yes to delicious, healthy food.
Diets which dictate everything you’re putting in your mouth can be tempting, because they leave no room for error, right? The thing is, you may find success for a little while, but at some point, it all comes crumbling down, often leaving you worse off than when you started! Restrictive eating (and living) is hard to maintain long term. It can also be quite unhealthy for you, depriving your body of important food groups (and nutrients).
Why is this way of eating so good?
- It’s all about balance. The Mediterranean Diet doesn’t restrict any food groups or foods at all. What it does, is naturally allow many more opportunities to increase your intake of nutritious foods.
- The food is delicious. The Mediterranean Diet is abundant with herbs, good quality produce and time-honoured recipes. You won’t be bored, or hungry because there is a whole new world of flavours!
- Everyone can enjoy it. You’re not on a ‘special’ diet that nobody else can (or wants to) eat! As Greek Australians, we love our food and family, and sharing delicious meals is the essence of a beautiful life.
- Superfoods in abundance. Mediterranean Diet meals contain an abundance of plants, whole, fibre-rich fresh foods, with some additional ‘superfoods’ which further enhance nutrition and overall health.
- High in good fats. The Med Diet is high in “good” (monounsaturated) fats found in olive oil, nuts, avocados, seafood and more. It is naturally low in the saturated fat which can lead to heart disease or obesity.
- Less sugar. The occasional sweet treat is okay, but generally, we get our sweetness from fresh fruit or from a light drizzle of honey, rather than added sugar.
- Your tummy loves it. As Gut Health specialists, we love how beneficial the Mediterranean Diet foods are for your digestive health. Helping to decrease inflammation and populate the good bacteria you need to stay healthy.
- Reduces your risk of chronic disease. Studies around the world have highlighted the benefits of The Mediterranean Diet for preventing a range of chronic diseases, as well as managing inflammatory conditions.
- Backed by science. The evidence isn’t just anecdotal, the benefits of the Mediterranean Diet are tried and tested in several different scientific studies.
Learn how to live a healthy, vibrant life with the Med Diet
Recipes and meal plans
Desi’s two books Mediterranean Eating and the follow up The Mediterranean Diet: The Lifestyle of Eating are comprehensive introductions to the Mediterranean Diet. These beautiful books are filled with recipes, shopping lists, tips, personal anecdotes as well as Dietitian-approved meal plans. All you need to inspire your journey to healthier living!
A Tree of Life Mediterranean Diet dietitian consultation can help you establish a healthy lifestyle. You can also get a personalised meal plan which fits in with your likes, dislikes, allergies, and health needs. A lifestyle plan you can follow every day to improve your health, decrease inflammation and improve weight issues. For disease management, we also offer you a proven protocol combining a personalised program with the Mediterranean Diet.
Tree of Life Nutrition offer personal Mediterranean Grocery Tours to help take the confusion out of what to buy. We empower you to navigate different brands, choose the best produce, read labels, and generally shop like a boss!
Tree of Life Nutrition runs regular cooking demonstrations and other workshops on the Mediterranean Diet and eating mindfully. The Mediterranean Diet is perfect for our Australian climate and lifestyle. It is our passion to teach about the benefits of Mediterranean eating for the whole family.
The Mediterranean Diet for conditions and chronic disease
How can an experienced Mediterranean Diet Dietitian help prevent or manage my condition?
If your health is not where it should be, it is a good idea to find a Dietitian who has lots of experience in clinical practice. When it comes to using the Mediterranean Diet to treat and prevent your condition, your needs extend beyond inspirational pictures on Instagram or a range of yummy recipes. That’s great for a generally healthy, vibrant life, but when your health is not where it should be, you need more individual attention and the benefit of experience.
Desi Carlos is an experienced Mediterranean Diet dietitian who has been in private practice with Tree of Life Nutrition since 1993. She has advanced knowledge of diet protocol for disease prevention and management. This means she can guide you through an individualised program which uses the Mediterranean Diet as a tool. This is the powerful combination you need when you are experiencing a complex condition or disease state.
Which issues can you help with?
In the hands of an experienced Dietitian who can draw from proven protocols for disease management, the Mediterranean Diet can be a vital part of a long-term plan for better health. The Mediterranean Diet is heavily researched, and there are scientifically-backed benefits for its implementation to assist with the following concerns, which we have also seen time and again in our Practice:
- Gut and microbiome health
- Lowering cholesterol
- Heart health
- Prevention of Alzheimer’s
- Anti-inflammatory diet for autoimmune disease
- Pain management
- Diabetes management
- Poly-Cystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) management
- Endometriosis management
- Cancer Management
- Thyroid disease
”“Whatever the medical issue, I look to implement a personalised protocol to help treat symptoms. We bring in the Mediterranean Diet for balance - often part of that lifestyle change that addresses the root cause of the condition. My goal is to empower my patients to take control of their diet and health, in an enjoyable and sustainable way.”Desi Carlos.
Meet Desi Carlos
“I am a first-generation Greek Australian. I was brought up with the traditional Mediterranean Diet and learnt to cook traditional food from 10 years old. Like many Greek Australians though, over time our family moved away from these foods in favour of a more ‘Western’ diet combined with what we would consider Greek ‘treat’ foods.
It was my own health concerns which prompted me to reassess my lifestyle. This was the catalyst for me to reconnect with my heritage and the many benefits our traditional diet can bring for health and vitality. Going back to the diet of old has been part of my journey as a woman and a Dietitian. I have travelled to Greece, living in villages of my family – vineyards, wheat farms, olive groves and small farms. I have learnt traditional cooking methods and been blessed to be able to truly embody the Mediterranean lifestyle. These experiences are the inspiration for the recipes you see in Mediterranean Eating, and The Mediterranean Diet: The Lifestyle of Eating.
As a busy wife and mother, the Mediterranean Diet is part of my daily life, and that of my whole family. My passion is to bring forward the flavours of the traditional Mediterranean Diet to an Australian palate. To bring more health and vitality to my patients and the community alike.”
Just some of the many studies into the efficacy of the Mediterranean Diet