This beautiful Mediterranean Stuffed Mushrooms recipe is full of goodness and tastes amazing. A lovely side dish or the perfect all-in-one meal for Meat Free Monday. Mushrooms contain a suite of essential vitamins and minerals, including copper, potassium, magnesium, zinc, and B vitamins like folate. This recipe is a great excuse to up your nutrient intake.
Mediterranean Stuffed Mushrooms
Serves 2 people
- 4 Portobello mushrooms
- 1/2 onion
- 1 cup shredded kale (or spinach leaves)
- 1 cup brown rice (cooked)
- 400g can crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 red capsicum
- 2-4 crushed garlic
- Dried Italian herbs
- Shredded cheese (to sprinkle on top)
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Place mushrooms on baking tray, top down. Remove stems, and scoop out the “gills”. These will be used for the filling of the mushrooms. Brush mushrooms with olive oil.
- In a saucepan, heat olive oil, add onion, garlic, kale and capsicum and brown slightly. Add cooked rice, mushroom stems and gills, crushed tomatoes and dried Italian herbs.
- Spoon the rice mixture into each mushroom and bake for 15 mins or until filling is golden and mushrooms are tender.
For a FODMAP friendly option, try stuffed capsicum instead of mushroom, but no onion or garlic, and be cautious with the amount of rice.
*recipe adapted from taste.com.au